In the part 1, I introduced the goal of this series along with architecture diagram of building a hybrid SharePoint 2016 farm. In this part, we shall see configuration of Active Directory Server. We are building a single domain controller running on Windows Server 2012 R2 with a static IP configured and updated till the latest windows patch.
- Login as a local administrator on the server.
- Open Server Manager and click on Manage and then Add Roles & Features.
- Click next as show in Figure 1 below.
- Select Role-based or feature based installation and follow the steps till figure 10 below.
- After the installation is completed, the restart the server. After server restarts, we need to promote the server to domain controller. This can be done by clicking the alert icon on top left and then click on Promote this server to domain controller (Figure 11).
- Since we are building the first domain controller in the forest, the following steps need to be meticulously followed. Click on Add a new forest and enter root domain name as infrafusion.xyz.
- Enter password and click next on the Domain Controller Options screen.
- Click next on the DNS option screen.
- Verify NetBIOS name on the Additional Options screen and click next.
- Click next on the Paths screen and click Next.
- Verify and review the selections. If you click on View Script, you should be able to see the PowerShell script for building this Active Directory and Click Next.
- Click Install after Prerequisites Check is successfully completed. You can ignore these warnings.
- After the installation is completed, the server will restart and you can enter the admin credentials for domain instead of local admin.
In this article we built an Active Directory Domain Controller. In the next article of this series, we will install SQL Server 2014 SP1. Till then keep watching this space.